Wednesday, March 30, 2011

i ask great things of a great GOD.

"Help me to see how good THY will is in all,
     and even when it crosses mine
     teach me to be pleased with it."
                             -Valley of Vision

Prayer is a curious thing. I do it so often and tritely that I basically don't think when I pray. It's an epidemic that spreads throughout the soul. How can I become more like JESUS when I don't honestly talk to HIM? How can I ask "great things of a great GOD" when I don't desire great things? 

Praying honest prayers to GOD takes preparation. If I don't prepare my heart before prayer, I'll just end up praying selfishly and religiously which is completely ineffective for the kingdom of GOD. JESUS told a parable which absolutely tore me up:
He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: "Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself prayed thus: 'GOD, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.' But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'GOD, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.
 Selfish religious prayers flow from my mouth to make me sound good. But before GOD, I am nothing but a sinner, thankfully saved by grace.

I've started to read through the Valley of Vision, which is a book of Puritan prayers, and it has really changed the way I pray. I've noticed that all the prayers in that book are so GOD-centered and unselfish which makes me feel small and insignificant. That's a wondrous thing though, because it allows me to see GOD as who HE really is, and not how I think HE is. It has been both an encouragement and a teaching tool. Learning to pray is critical in my walk with JESUS.

I don't like it when people only focus on themselves when they talk to me. Yet how often do I do the same thing to GOD. "GOD, I want this or that... bless me." GOD deserves infinitely more. Mere human words are not even enough to give HIM the required praise, but HE promises HIS SPIRIT will groan and intercede for those things which our mouths cannot do alone.

Ecclesiastes says, "Be not rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be hasty to utter a word before GOD, for GOD is in heaven and you are on earth. Therefore let your words be few." I need to practice praying the correct way: seeing GOD for who HE is and responding in worship. My cares dissolve the moment I am truly talking to the GOD of the universe.

"When we lose sight of GOD, we become hard and dogmatic. We hurl our own petitions at GOD's throne and dictate to HIM as to what we want HIM to do. We do not worship GOD, nor do we seek to form the mind of CHRIST."
- Oswald Chambers

"I ask great things of a great GOD."
-Valley of Vision
 

1 comment:

  1. When people talk to us only about ourselves it is SOO bothersome..but we do the same thing to God..so true sam.

    ReplyDelete