Monday, March 21, 2011

Staining Glory

As I sit here at 6 o'clock in the morning, I look out my window and see a picture so unbelievable that I literally stop what I am doing and watch it. The watching, however, only lasts a few seconds as I then hurry in my selfishness to grab a camera. 

Left it in the car.

Frustrated. Who is going to share this experience with me? Who is going to enjoy what I am seeing with my eyes? A camera lens cannot capture beauty so undefined and wild, can it?

I return to my room camera-less. How will anybody know what I saw? I must share it with someone! 

In my haste, I tried to take what God has created for my eyes to see for the sole purpose of HIS glorification, and quickly turn it into my own sinful picture, my creation, for my own glory.

I have been asking God lately, "God, give me opportunities to glorify You. I want to see Your glory!" 
It's occurred to me, in this previous moment, that God has been rendering His glory to me. However, my eyes, instead of being filled with awe-struck wonder, have been looking through sunglasses at His glory. Sunglasses of selfishness and greed.

"NO GOD, I want the glory of Your sunrise! I'm gonna take this picture, post it on Facebook, and wait for someone to tell me how awesome it is. How awesome MY picture is. You wanna know why God? Because I want Your glory. I don't want to glorify You. I want it as my own. For my own selfish gain..."

Sin of all sins selfishness is. Throwing mud on God's wedding dress. Defacing His glory to show mine. 
Criminal.

God, forgive me of me. Let me bask wholly in Your glories. Not willing to take credit for that which You made. But seeing Your holy creation and giving the rightful doxology to the only One worthy of it. I've been living my life for my own glory, when Yours has been shining all around me, begging that I praise You. Begging that I lift You up, but I don't. God, I ask gain, please, show me Your glory. Show me Your face. My lips are ready for praise.


I see Your face in every sunrise
The colors of the morning are inside Your eyes
The world awakens in the light of the day
I look up to the sky and say,
YOU're beautiful. 

-Phil Wickham

No comments:

Post a Comment