Monday, March 14, 2011

Jet Lag, Manna, and the Sun.



Jet lag, the unconquerable foe. I hardly slept at all on the plane ride to the Motherland (partially because they had such good movies playing: The King's Speech, Wall Street, and Karate Kid ), but I thought I could make up for that failure by staying up all day when I got to Greece. Well, I did just that. Now, the problem with jet lag is that usually one wakes up at like 2 or 4 in the morning; however, last night I laid down to sleep at 10pm and woke up at 2pm. That's a ridiculous 14 hours! I haven't slept that much in months. 


Jet lag, however, had the last laugh. I'm up writing this post (and the previous) at 4 in the morning. I'd rather be writing at night, or early morning in this case, so I have no guilt for wasting time on a computer in this beautiful country because I can't do anything.


So, I've been here for about 2 days, and I'm already feeling extremely rested. That's not only because I've had some great sleeping experiences either. I have plenty of time to spend by myself here, and there are many places I can go to find quietness. I'm reading through Crazy Love while I'm here, and that book is astounding. The best way to put it is that it is a fresh reminder of who GOD is and how much HE loves me. 


Taste and see that the LORD is good.
Now for some specifics about what I've been doing here: My plane left from Chicago at 11:15am on Saturday, and I arrived in Athens at 9:30am on Sunday. Awesome right? I literally have no recollection of my life that Saturday. I get into Athens, and my dad and I take the train back to mi casa (that's Spanish for my house). We chilled for a while, caught up, and all that fun jazz. Then when my mom and sisters came home, we went and got some manna, I mean gyros. It was at that moment that I knew I was in Greece.


After a fantastic lunch, we came back home and I laid outside on our deck and fell asleep for two hours. I woke up and was sunburnt, but I was happy about that. We then headed to a public sports complex to have a goodbye party for a family in my parent's church. There was a public turf field there, so naturally we played soccer for about 2 hours. I was wiped out, but it was a ton of fun. I got back home and fell asleep at 10pm.


14 hours later I awoke my crusty eyes. Needless to say, it was the greatest night of sleep I have ever had. With my day being half over at 2pm, I decided to go read on the deck and just chill for the rest of the day. So  I did that. For lunch I went down the street to get a gyro, ptl. When my dad returned from work and my sisters from school, I had convinced them to drive up a mountain to let me get some sweet pictures. So we did, and it was everything I had hoped for. We got back, ate spaghetti (not as good as gyros, but still delicious), and just chilled. I went to bed at 10pm again, but instead I woke up at 2:30am, and here I continue my battle with jet lag. Oh well, I'm excited about the sunrise coming up in an hour. 


All that to say, this is a great beginning to my spring break. I'll keep you guys posted with my thoughts and adventures, but for now I think this is sufficient. Smell ya later.


Good night Mr. Sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment