Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Japan and Prayer.

I have a confession to make. I don't pray for people or events like I say I do. (Cue screaming babies, car alarms, and wildebeest stampedes). It's easy to make jokes about something like that, but it's often too true. Sometimes my friends will ask me to pray for a tough situation that they are going through, and I'll even write it down with every intention to pray for them, but as the day goes on, I forget. Sure, I'm extremely happy when GOD answers their prayer, but so often, it just reminds me that I forgot to pray for them.


Right now, Japan is going through a tragedy that I have no idea how to relate to. I've heard awesome responses of people praying and going to Japan to help out. Sadly though, I've also read snide comments about this being what the Japanese deserve because of Pearl Harbor. That comment still makes my gut wrench. Other people are worried about the US economy because of this. We should care less about our financial security and more about the lives and well being of those in need. Many times, in order to deal with the turmoil of situations like this (Haiti for example last year), we tend to make jokes or minimize the situation so that we don't feel as convicted to help. I'm guilty of it.


GOD has called us as Christians to reach out to those in need. If all you can do is pray, please pray. But don't say you will and then don't. What Japan is going through is worse than 9/11. They can't blame what happened on another group of people. They can't express their grief through military action. However, being a culture that was always busy and on the move, this is a great opportunity to share the love of JESUS with them. They need to be loved, and we have the Perfect Love to share with them.


James 5:13-18
Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain on the earth. Then he prayed again, and heaven gave rain, and the earth bore its fruit.

pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment