Saturday, May 14, 2011

Living Christ Thru Goodbye's

Dear Chicago,

It’s been a good year. Though you’ve never warmed up to my liking, you still had glimpses of good weather. If your weather was nicer, I can guarantee you that I would have never gotten any of my school work done.

Tomorrow I leave for a land of nearly constant warm weather, but don’t think that I won’t miss you. All your random thunderstorms and rainy days have been a pleasant reminder of the power of GOD. The seemingly random sunshine that protrudes through your smog always brightens my day.

Your beach will be missed, though it is always too cold to swim. Your new, large buildings will be swapped for ancient, beautiful structures. Your flat land which is perfect for biking will be exchanged for mountainous landscapes perfect for hiking. I can’t just run to Lincoln Park and back down Lake Shore Path, but I have to manage the many one-way roads of Athens. I cannot simply go to a Cubs game and watch them lose, but risk my life going to a soccer game.

Sure you have many bad areas, but at least I know where they are. I cannot say the same about Athens. Plus, you speak the language I speak; that’s always a bonus. Athens does have my favorite food in all the world, gyros, but you have tried your best to make me happy with replicas. Athens, however, does not have Bacci’s, Chipotle, Johnny’s Grill, Subway, Billy Goat Tavern, Salim’s, or Panang, but you do.

Chicago, I’m going to miss playing soccer at Lincoln Park. I’m going to miss doing the most random of things with friends. Whether that is making a quick trip to Wendy’s, Taco Bell, or McDonald’s, or maybe it’s taking the time to run to the Zoo, the lighthouse, or to that secret park near Grant Park, I’m gonna miss them all. Even getting hit by a stretch Hummer. Yeah, I’m gonna miss that too. I’m going to miss Missio Dei, and their love for JESUS that I strive to have.

Thankfully, I’ll only be gone for two months, but two months away from friends can feel like a year. Remember, Chicago, that I’ll be back soon. It took me awhile to warm up to you, but now you finally feel like home to me. Goodbye for now.

Your new buddy,
Sam.

No comments:

Post a Comment