Sunday, December 19, 2010

When in Greece, throw flares and fire crackers at professional soccer players.

Not Greece, but still looks awesome.


Greece. What a place. I've been here for 2 days and what an experience. Aside from my duffle bag being left in London thanks to the airport and can't get here because of the all the snow, life's been awesome. The weather here is chilly, but it's definitely not Chicago cold so I'm happy. The weather this week will be around 65 degrees, but it gets pretty cold at night. 


Yesterday, when I got here, my luggage was lost and I took along time to get through immigration so my dad was wondering around the airport looking for me, making sure I was on the plane. Then I just walked out the door and everyone was relieved. Funny situation...at least for me.


That day I was blown away by the beauty of Greece. The landscape is unbelievable. Being from Illinois, anything higher than a small hill is a mountain, so I'm freaking out. All around the deck of our house is just a beautiful sight with mountains in the background, I can't wait to hike up one.


Olympic Stadium.
Last night, my dad and I went to a Panathinaikos soccer game, one of the best teams in Greece. They play in a giant stadium that was built for the Olympic games in 2004. It was about half full for the game, but there is a section in the stadium where the fans just go nuts the entire game. They light flares and throw them everywhere. When they don't like something that happens they light firecrackers and throw them. Panathinaikos played awfully. The team they were facing was not too good, so it was embarrassing to watch. They ended up getting scored on with 15 minutes left in the game, and the crazy fans started throwing flares and firecrackers at their own goalie. So with about 10 minutes left in the game, my dad and I decided to leave because we didn't want to ride the train with the crazies. 

Christmas party with my Mom.
Needless to say, I crashed that night. Jet lag sat in pretty early yesterday, so much so that I almost fell asleep at the soccer game before it started. Tonight, we had a Christmas party at the church where there were tons of desserts. Afterwards we had to "quickly" drop a ham off at the Dutton's house (the pastor of the church). We were supposed to be in and out... we ended up staying there for 2 hours. We basically watched YouTube videos so it was full of laughs.


I'm not quite so sure what we will be doing tomorrow, but I bet it's gonna be fan-freakin'-tastic. My dad has a sweet camera so I've been trying to take pictures with it, but it's pretty tricky getting the pictures I took off of there, so we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment