Monday, December 20, 2010

Grocery Shopping and Ναρνια!

Sunrise a couple of mornings ago. This is from our deck.
This morning I woke up a little early to try to snap a picture of the awesome sunrises here. The only problem was that it happened to be cloudy today. Though it was disappointing, there will be many more mornings to take awesome photos.


This bird was just chillin' so I snapped a pic.
Today, my mom and I went to a German Aldi-type place called Λιδλ (Lidl). It was pretty cool seeing the same idea of stores that we have in America that are in Greece. We also went to a place called AΒ. It's basically a Schnuck's or Dominick's. Most everything in the stores are in Greek, but you can usually figure out what the stuff is by pictures or looking for small English translations that may be hidden on the bottle somewhere. Speaking of bottles, there is no age limit on drinking here, so if it wasn't for the fact that I signed my life away to the SLG ....


Voyage of the Dawn Treader in 3-D!
Anyway, tonight, my dad and I went to the movie theater and watched The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. It had been awhile since I've read the books, and I hadn't seen Prince Caspian, but I thought the movie was really good. Though there were some parts that were a little cheesy, overall, the quality of the movie was good. The content, being taken from C.S. Lewis, was thrilling. 


The entire time I was wishing that Aslan would talk more. The movie does a good job at bringing the experience of peace when he is around. At the end of the movie (this is talked about a lot, but it's the best phrase of the entire movie), Aslan is talking to Edmund, Lucy, Eustace, and Caspian, and they are wondering if they will ever see him in their world. Aslan says that they will. Lucy then asks how? Aslan then makes a statement which explains the entire reason C.S. Lewis wrote The Chronicles of Narnia. He says, "Because there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there." The very reason C.S. Lewis wrote the books was to see what Aslan is to the world of Narnia and meet Him in our world. This Lion, this beast which is "very dangerous", is with us. Just like Eustace, He will rip off our thick, impenetrable dragon skin and restore us. Whenever I see Aslan, there is something about Him that carries reverence and power, but at the same time love. This is the picture Lewis was trying to paint. Pictures of Christ are everywhere in his books, once my luggage shows up I'll probably read them.
quietly brilliant...


Tomorrow, we are going downtown Athens, so hopefully, I'll be able to take a ton of pictures. Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment